Nahlin arrived at Nobiskrug in Germany last summer for a long and undoubtedly laborious restoration, given her age and condition. From the 1980’s through the late 1990’s, she’d been left to deteriorate in Romania, having been used as a restaurant for a few decades prior to that. And while she’d been partially refitted earlier this decade, first at Devonport Shipyard and then at the Cammell Laird-owned Clarence Dry Docks, both in England, details about her whereabouts from 2001 through last spring were hard to come by. But when she arrived at Nobiskrug, several dark rust stains were clearly visible from stem to stern.
G.L. Watson & Company, Nahlin’s original designer, was appointed a special consultant to the restoration when work began in England and asked to devise drawings of how she could retain her classic air; no word on whether those drawings are being used for the current refit. At least one report states her owner is German, but others show that the famed brokerage firm Edmiston & Company acquired her in 1999, with the presumed intention of selling her after her refit.
Y: 1930; B: John Brown & Co., Scotland; N: G.L. Watson; H: Steel; E: 4/Brown-Curtis steam turbines
- Builder: OTHER
This article originally appeared in the August 2006 issue of Power & Motoryacht magazine.